The Atkinson-Stern tennis center is one of the oldest tennis venues in the United States. Opened in 1897, it was originally a private club operated by the New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club. In 1973 the city of New Orleans acquired and renamed the facility as the Stern Tennis Center in honor of Edgar Stern, a philanthropist who contributed financially to the Center. Stern Tennis Center’s name was expanded later to recognize the grand legacy and contributions of Nehemiah Atkinson, manager (and talented player) at the facility. For two decades, Nehemiah Atkinson coached at the tennis center, and inspired many New Orleanians (including African-American adults and children) to play tennis.